Orange & Chocolate Bakewell Tart
A family favourite with a sugar free, low carb twist! This is a variation on my very popular Bakewell tart and it is really divine. If you prefer, you could use lemon instead of orange, which also works brilliantly with the raspberry jam.
Nutritional information Per Serving
3.7g net carbohydrates
300g ground almonds
75g ground hazelnuts (grind your own)
2 tbsp. of sugar-free raspberry jam (see below for recipe)
100g erythritol blend, or xylitol (or stevia or monk fruit to taste)
125g almond flour or ground almonds
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp orange essence
zest of 1 orange
50g dark chocolate, melted
• Preheat the oven to 180ºc/gas mark 4.
• To make the pastry, rub the butter into the ground nuts until it resembles breadcrumbs.
• Add 1 egg and form into a dough. It will be very crumbly as it has not gluten to hold it together.
• Grease your 20cm pie dish well. Place the crumbly mixture into the base of your dish. Flatten with your hands and flatten and spread until you cover the base completely. If you can go slightly up the side, but don’t worry if you find this too tricky.
• Place in the oven and bake for 10 minutes.
• Meanwhile, place the butter and sweetener into a bowl and beat until light and fluffy.
• Add the ground almonds, egg and orange essence and zest and beat well until combined evenly.
• Remove the nut pastry from the oven.
• Place the jam onto the pastry and spread in a thin layer. Don’t be tempted to add too much jam as it will bubble up and spill.
• Pour on the cake batter and smooth the top.
• Place in the oven and cook for 30-40 minutes until golden on top and the sponge springs back when touched.
• Remove from the oven and cool. Once cool, melt the dark chocolate and sprinkle over the top of the tart. Store in an airtight container.
To make the jam, simply place 200g of frozen raspberries into a saucepan. Cook on a medium heat until the raspberries soften and start to break down. Once they have softened, remove from the heat and add 2 tbsp chia seeds. Place in your sterilised jar and leave to cool.