Delicious Low Carb Carrot Cake
Low Carb Carrot Cake
This is a lovely low carb carrot cake, delicately spiced. I use a sweet spice mix from The Spice Pots Company, but you can make your own blend using either cinnamon, ground coriander or mixed spice or a combination to taste. This will last a up to a week if kept in a cool place in an airtight container.
I make this in my Victoria sponge tins and sandwich together with the filling. If you want more filling to cover the cake sides and top, you will need to double up the icing quantities.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
4g net carbohydrates
5 large eggs
170g Ground almonds/Almond flour
40g Coconut flour
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
30g desiccated coconut
135g grated carrot
50g chopped nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts or pecans)
1 tsp vanilla
3 tsp sweet spice mix from Spice Pots (or a combination of cinnamon, ground coriander and mixed spice)
150g full fat cream cheese
75ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract
4-5 tbsp powdered erythritol (or to taste)
Preheat oven 170c
· Beat the butter and sweetener together until light and fluffy
· Add the eggs, ground almonds, coconut flour and baking powder and beat until it forms a nice batter
· Add the remaining ingredients.
· Place into 2, greased, lined, sponge tins and smooth until even
· Pop into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden but firm to touch.
· Turn onto a cooling rack.
· When cool, mix the icing ingredients together until it forms a thick icing. You can add more icing if you want it thicker, more cream if you want it slightly thinner. It should be thick enough to spread but hold its shape.
· Spread onto once of the cakes, placing the other on top. You can double the recipe for icing and place some on top or smooth on the sides.
· Store in an airtight container – ideally in the fridge or cool larder.